Isnt it frustrating sometimes, when for whatever reason, you had to update your DNS records for your domain and it takes forever to propagate. I had to go through this recently. One of the domains I manage expired, and we renewed after two days. Unfortunately, the registrar had parked the domain, pointing it to another location temporarily. This meant that after the renewal, we had to wait for 24 to 48 hours for the domain to fully propagate.
I then had to do a fix that ensured that some other servers who talked to that domain could still access the server it pointed to, even though the domain was not fully propagated to them. It involves a simple fix for windows systems.
- Open notepad as administrator
- Open C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts (assuming that windows is installed on the C drive)
- Scroll to the end of file and add two new lines (press Enter twice)
- Enter the IP Address, leave a space then the domain name
- Do the same for necessary subdomains where needed, e.g www
- Save and close the file